The Japanese title of this tool is Dango; in English is Rib. A rib is any object, for example a piece of bone, wood, bamboo, or metal used to change or smooth the inside or outside of a form, usually while it is being thrown (wheel pots) or formed (coiled pots).
Ribs are versatile and invaluable tools that perform a wide variety of tasks both on the wheel and off the wheel.
- Aid in forming the basic shape of a pot, through pressure on the inner or outer
surface, during or after throwing.
- Smooth and bind together the separate coils of a coiled pot, and the thrown and coiled sections of a two-stage pot.
- Support sections of a pot that may collapse during throwing, either through
shortness of clay, thinness of walls, overworking, or from the extreme sharp of the pot, while final manipulations are made.
- Clean the bottom of the pot, much as a substitute for a knife.
- Using the angles a rib to create lines,grooves, shoulders or ridges.
There are a lots of different usages. You just need to hold them and explore the posibilities.
Welcome to The Ceramic Shop home of discounted ceramic supplies. If you are looking for products that would fall into the following categories: pottery supply, ceramic supply, pottery supplies, ceramic supplies, clay supply, skutt kilns, L&L kilns ,glass kilns, Brent Wheels, shimpo pottery wheel, Amaco glazes, spectrum glaze, Mayco Glazes, kiln supplies, kiln stilts, Olympic kilns, paragon kilns, kilns for sale, mason stains, kiln parts, Hydro-Bats you have come to the right place. Since 1999 we have been supplying the Philadelphia area with quality pottery supplies. We do except school Purchase orders and supply clay and ceramic supplies to all the major clay programs in the area.